We want to keep you up to date regarding the current Covid-19 outbreak. We are working completely in the guidelines set out by the government.
For New Clients:
We are still taking new bookings for late 2021 onwards. However as many of our existing clients are moving dates and re-scheduling their weddings with us our availability of dates is changing almost daily. Are we more than happy to meet with new clients either over the telephone or Skype / Facetime / Zoom to discuss their requirements for their big day.
For existing Clients:
If you are in the unfortunate position of needing to reschedule your wedding our advice would be first and foremost to get a list of dates that your suppliers can / cannot work with BEFORE going back to your venue. Some make up artists, florists and of course your photographer can only undertake one wedding a day. Having this information to hand before you contact your venue means you able to make a quick judgement when offered an alternative date for your wedding.
A few points to note.
1. It may be worth considering a weekday, although harder for guests to attend it’s more likely that your venue will have a weekday date available and more likely that your other suppliers will also be able to cater for your needs too.
2. Out of season dates may be an option for you too. Venues aren’t likely to be as busy (possibly even cheaper) and the weather can be nice. If it’s not, there is always a ‘Plan B’ regarding photographs in bad weather, so never let that put you off moving to a less regular spring / summer date.
3. During the Covid-19 outbreak we will NOT charge any form of administration fee to change your date. However, due to the current additional lockdowns in place during January 2021 which may run for a couple of months, we are asking clients who are due to get married between January 2021 to June 2021 and are postponing to a later date if they would be prepared to pay 50% of their remaining balance on their original balance due date. This will obviously then be discounted from your remaining balance on your new wedding date. This excludes clients who have already paid towards their existing balance previously.
4. Please also note for the first time in several yearss our fees have increased slightly for the 2022 season and we will be asking those moving from 2021 to 2022 to pay the additional amount. This equates to £60 for full day digital coverage.
As of the 18th January 2021 these are the dates we CANNOT change your wedding photography to (dates between January 2021 and November 2022):
March 2021: 14th
April 2021: 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 7th, 9th, 10th, 17th, 24th(TBC), 30th
May 2021: 1st, 7th, 8th, 14th, 20th, 22nd, 30th, 31st
June 2021: 2nd, 12th, 18th, 19th, 24th, 25th, 26th
July 2021: 2nd, 3rd, 11th, 15th, 17th, 23rd, 24th
August 2021: 1st, 6th, 7th, 11th, 15th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 26th(TBC), 29th
September 2021: 4th, 9th, 11th, 17th, 24th(TBC)
October 2021: 2nd, 8th, 10th, 16th, 27th, 30th
November 2021: 13th, 20th, 27th
December 2021: 4th, 10th
February 2022: 5th
March 2022: 12th, 26th
April 2022: 9th, 23rd
May 2022: 7th, 12th, 14th, 26th
June 2022: 4th, 6th, 11th
July 2022: 2nd, 9th, 16th, 30th
August 2022: 20th, 26th, 27th
September 2022: 3rd
November 2022: 10th
Are you planning TWO events for your wedding?
If so we still may be able to help. We are more than happy to ‘split’ your wedding celebrations in to the wedding and then the ‘after party’ and we won’t charge any extra than the amount that you’ve already been contracted. However, there are a couple of T&C’s regarding this:
- It’s only applicable to clients who have already booked our services prior to the 17th July 2020.
- Only one of the two dates can be a Saturday or Sunday if between the 1st April and 30th October as we obviously still need to ensure availability for new clients. We can make exceptions but they will sadly incur additional costs.
Existing Album and Print Orders:
Please note at this time no visitors will be allowed to our premises and as mentioned above we are working within strict government guidelines. Album and print orders will be delayed as the labs we use are at the moment closed.